Each week we will post recipes from our 8-week class
Week one:sweet potato apple salad
Prep time: 20 minutes/ Bake time: 45 minutes/Serves: 4
5 cups Sweet potato, cubed
1 cup Onion, chopped
¼ cup Brown sugar
¼ cup Orange juice
2 tablespoons Vegetable oil
3 cups Apples, cubed (1 inch)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine sweet potato and onion in a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
3. Combine brown sugar, orange juice, and oil. Pour over sweet potatoes.
4. Cover with tin foil and bake for 30 minutes.
5. Stir in apple and bake for another 15 minutes.
WEEK ONE: Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Prep Time: 15 minutes/ Cook time: 30 minutes/Serves: 6
6 Sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
¾ cup Milk
½ cup Butter or margarine
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
2. Add potatoes and cook until soft (20-30 minutes)
3. Using a fork or potato masher, mash softened potatoes. As you mash, add the milk slowly.
4. Add butter or margarine to taste and blend until smooth. Serve warm.
week two: glazed carrots
Prep time: 5 minutes/ Bake time: 15 minutes/ Serves: 4
1 package Baby carrots
1 teaspoon Salt (optional)
4 tablespoons Butter
3 tablespoons Packed brown sugar
1. Rinse carrots under cold water and place in medium sauce pan. Cover carrots with water. Add salt and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat to medium low, cover, and cook for 15 minutes. Drain carrots, set aside.
3. In sauté pan, melt butter. Add brown sugar and mix until dissolved. Toss cooked carrots into sauce and coat evenly.
week two: Sweet & Crunchy Carrot Raisin Salad
Prep Time: 15 minutes/ Serves: 8
1 cups Shredded carrots
½ cup Raisins
1/8 cup Mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Sugar
1-2 tablespoon Milk
1. Mix carrots, raisins, and mayonnaise together.
2. Stir in enough milk to reach a creamy consistency.
Refrigerator before serving!
week three: Broccoli Raisin Salad
Prep time: 20 minutes/ Serves: 4
1 medium Head broccoli, chopped
1 cup Red onion, diced
¼ cup Raisins
½ cup Mayo
2-3 slices Bacon, cooked & crumbled
1. Mix Broccoli, raisins, and bacon in a bowl.
2. Pour mayonnaise over broccoli, mix and stir to combine.
3. Serve immediately ore store in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
week three: Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Prep Time: 15 minutes/ Cook Time: 30 minutes/ Serves: 8
4 cups Broccoli, chopped
4 cloves Garlic, minced
3 ½ cups Chicken broth
1 cup Milk
3 cups Shredded cheddar cheese
1. In a large pot, cook garlic over medium heat for one minute.
2. Add chicken broth, milk, and broccoli. Increase hear to bring o a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer for 10-20 minutes or until broccoli is soft.
3. Add shredded cheddar cheese a little at a time. Continue to stir until melted. Keep at a very low heat during this time. Serve once cheese melts.
Week Three Lettuce: Turkey Club Lettuce Wrap
Prep time: 15 minutes/Serves: 1
Ingredients:1 Romaine lettuce leaf
2 slices Deli turkey
1 teaspoon Mayonnaise
1 slice Tomato, cut in half
1 sliced Cooked bacon
1. Wash and dry romaine leaf. Lay it flat.
2. Layer turkey, mayonnaise, tomato slices, and bacon. Roll up and enjoy!
Week Three Lettuce: Greek Salad Dressing
Prep Time: 15 minutes/Serves: 4
I clove Garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Salt
¼ teaspoon Black pepper
¼ cup Lemon juice
½ cup Vegetable oil
1. Place all ingredient in a jar with a lid. Shake well to combine.
2. Pour over a bowl of fresh leafy greens or chopped romaine lettuce with tomatoes and cucumber slices.
3. Store in fridge. Remove dressing from fridge 10-15 minutes before use to allow oil to melt.
Week Four snap peas: Sautéed Snap Peas
Prep time: 5 minutes/ Cook time: 5 minutes/Serves: 4
1 pound Snap peas
1 tablespoon Oil or butter
1 ½ teaspoons Salt
¾ teaspoon Black pepper
1. Remove and throw away the stem end and string from each snap pea pod.
2. Heat the oil or butter in a large sauté pan over medium- high heat. Add the snap peas, salt, and pepper and cook in oil tossing occasionally for 3-5 minutes.
WEEK Four snap peas: Garlic Baked Snap Peas
Prep Time: 5 minutes/ Bake time: 10 Minutes
½ pound Snap peas
1 tablespoon Oil or melted butter
1 tablespoon Garlic, minced
Salt, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees
2. Put snap peas in a single layer on a baking sheet and drizzle peas with oil or butter.
3. Sprinkle garlic and salt over the top. Mix peas around so everything is coated evenly.
Bake for 7-8 minutes and enjoy immediately!
week five tomatoes: Cherry Tomato Mozzarella Salad
Prep time: 15 minutes/Serves: 4
¼ cup Olive oil
3 Tablespoons Fresh Basil (optional)
¼ cup Red onion, diced
1 pint Cherry tomatoes, cut in half
6 sticks Mozzarella string cheese, sliced
1. Whisk together olive oil, basil, and red onion.
2. Combine with cherry tomatoes and mozzarella and enjoy or refrigerate for up to 3 days!
week five tomatoes: Fresh Pico De Gallo
Prep Time: 20 minutes/Serves: 4
5 Roma tomatoes
¼ Yellow onion, diced
½ cup Cilantro, minced (optional)
½ Jalapeno pepper, minced
2 tablespoons Lime juice
1. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Cover and place in in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Note: for best taste, allow to chill in refrigerator for at least 1 hour